March is the month of endometriosis awareness.
What exactly is endometriosis, — endometriosis is a condition when tissues that are normally growing inside the uterus, grows outside it. This often found in the ovaries, fallopian tubes rarely it is found in organs outside the uterus.
Endometriosis is graded as
While mild and moderate could exhibit cysts, severe could cause infertility.
Exact cause of endometriosis is not clearly known, it is believed that the retrograde flow of menstrual blood deposits in the pelvic and abdomen region to cause a growth nevi, all the same the reason for the retrograde menstruation is not known.
The symptoms presented are
- Pain particularly preceding periods, relieved when the flow starts.
- Pain during periods relieved when periods stop.
- Painful sexual intercourse.
- Cramps during intercourse.
- Cramps or pain during urination or bowel movements.
There are also associated symptoms like lower abdomen pain, diarrhoea, and constipation, low back ache, chronic fatigue, and irregular heavy menstruation, painful or even bloody urination.
The Gynaecologist is the ideal person to diagnose and treat this. But by and large the treatment covers,
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication.
- Hormonal contraceptives’, birth control pills, vaginal rings, or hormonal patches.
- Gonad tropic releasing hormones,
- Progesterone therapy