Colon also known as the large intestine is a part of our digestive system it’s a long hollow tube at the end of our digestive tract where the body makes and stores stools.
The focus of the month is on colon cancer, so I shall just list the standard disturbances of colon. Like all tissues, the colon is also suspect able to the- 5 ‘I’’s
- Inflammation – is irritation, and could be caused by anything. This is the mildest of the abnormalities and is usually self limiting.
- Infection—if course due to imbalance in the flora. Or external invasion.
- Infiltration – of new growth, either spontaneously in the site or invasion from another area.
- Idiopathic – this is summed up as cause unknown.
- – caused by some procedures that are performed in the area.
Though the commonly heard ones are.
- Colonic polyps – extra tissue growing in the colon that can become cancerous
- Ulcerative colitis – ulcers of the colon and rectum
- Diverticulitis –inflammation or infection of the pouches in the colon
- Irritable bowel syndrome – an uncomfortable condition causing abdominal cramping and other symptoms.
- Colorectal cancer.
The treatment of colonic disease varies greatly with the disease and its severity. Treatment would involve medicines, diet and in some cases surgery.