So what is Movember?
Movember Is a portmanteau from moustache and November it is an annual event through the month of November beginning on the first of the month. The event promotes men’s health awareness issues such as prostate cancer and other male cancers it is also associated with charities. The Movember foundation runs the Movember charity event housed at www.movember. com their tag line is to change the face of men’s health.
The participants of the event are referred to as Mo-Bros. By encouraging the Mo-Bro brigade Movember aims to increase early detection of cancer, diagnosis and effective treatments and ultimately reduced the statistics of cancer related deaths. The Movember foundation not only encourages men to go for their annual check up but it also encourages them to be aware of family history of cancer and to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
The movement since its launch in 2004 focuses raise awareness and funds issues like depression in men, the movement began in Australia and New Zealand, and in 2007 debuted in Ireland, Canada, Czech republic, Denmark , UK, US. etc. in 2010 the event Tacheback—dealing with testicular cancer merged with Movember.
During the Movember, thousands of men across the world start with a clean shaven face and grow and groom their moustaches for 30 days, getting friends, family and colleagues to join their team and donate to the Mo-growing efforts.
The women known as Mo-sistas, act as ambassadors and help to spread the word about men’s health. Like the breast cancer movement, this movement is about caring, caring about your dad, uncle, father, son, husband. The movement grows because people increasingly understand that Movember is not about moustache but about men’s health.
The rules are simple
- Once registered at movember.com each Mo-Bro must begin on the first of Movember with a clean shaven face.
- For the entire month of Movember each Mo-Bro must grow and groom a moustache.
- There is to be no joining of the Mo to your side burns.—that is then considered beard.
- There is to be no joining of the handlebars to the chin – that is considered a goatee.
- Each Mo-Bro should conduct himself like a true country gentleman.
- On shadowe’en e., Oct.31st the complete moustache region including the entire upper lip and handlebar zones must be completely shaved
The Movember committee does not accept any responsibility for lost jobs, rashes, or any other mishaps caused to the wearer or his partner
November is the month dedicated to Men’s health.