Diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome is by elimination. The criteria onset of fatigue lasting for over six months or more with at 50% reduction in activity it interferes with work, social activity and general well being. Along with this at least 8 of the below listed symptoms need to be present.
- Low grade fever
- Throat infection without pus
- Muscle ache and weakness
- Altered frequency or pattern in headaches
- Ache in the joints.
- Painful swelling(of the lymphnodes) in the neck and under arm region.
- Disturbed sleep
- Unclear thinking and forgetfulness.
- Malaise after minimum exertion.
- Migrating body and joint pain.
The manifestation of these symptoms are not rigid when it comes to beginning treatment. Many People with CFS are known to develop conditions in which their heart rate increases and blood pressure drops, this is particularly postural, that when sitting up, from a reclining position. This is classically described as feeling light-headed or dizzy some people experience a faint feeling. This is a condition called orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension.
Another follow out of CFS or CFS can be a fall out of this, is depression the physician might prescribe antidepressants.
Liked mentioned before diagnosis is usually by elimination. However it could be confirmed by the following tests.
- Adrenal, liver and liver function test, if this is normal then CFS is a probable diagnosis.
- Blood test, people with CSF tend to exhibit tremendously low ESR.
- Antibody tests maybe conducted to verify if there have been previous infections like pneumonia or lyme disease.
- MRI and CT scans help to exclude disorders of the central nervous system.