Crohn’s disease is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that is IBD.
Crohn’s disease is characterized by inflammation of the digestive or gastrointestinal tract, it can affect any part of the GI, from mouth to anus, but it is more commonly found at the end of the small intestine part
of the intestine especially colon and ileum, it is associated with fistulae and ulcers. Crohn’s disease can also affect the
The exact cause of Crohn’s disease is not know, though there is a hereditary predilection is very prominent. The physio-pathology shows that the immune system of the body refuses to recognize the normal intestinal flora and triggers an attack. The symptoms are
- terrible stomach ache, though the individual is mobile and can sustain normal food,
- weight loss
- There could additional symptoms like oral ulcers, bowel blockage and anal fissures.
The disease is graded as
- mild to moderate
- frequent diarrhoea
- abdominal pain but can walk and eat normally
- so signs of dehydration or fever.
- Weight loss less than 10%
- moderate to severe
- frequent diarrhoea
- abdominal pain and tenderness
- significant weight loss
- Significant anaemia with fatigue, dizziness, short breathe and headache.
- Severe to very severe.
- Severe persistent vomiting.
- High fever
- Evidence of intestinal obstruction or abscess.
- More than severe weight loss.
Diagnosis is done through Barium X-ray, colonoscopy or Biopsy. After stool analysis, and sometimes imaging tests like CT scan or MRI are used.
Difference between Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis.
|Crohn’s disease||Ulcerative colitis|
|Inflammation may develop anywhere in the GI from mouth to the anus||Limited to large intestine, colon and rectum|
|Most common site is end of the small intestine||Occurs in the rectum and colon involving a part or entire colon|
|May appear in patches||Appears in patterns|
|May be present through the entire thickness of the bowel wall||Inflammation is seen in the inner most wall of the intestine|
|About 67% of the people in remission will have at least one relapse over 5yrs||About 30% of the people in remission will experience a relapse|
When it comes treatment it is usually management. The goal of the treatment is control inflammation. Achieving and maintaining remission
The possible medications are — antibiotics, amino-salicylate, corticosteroid, immune modifiers, biologic therapy. Then there are non-prescription over the counter anti-diarrhoeal medication, pain relievers, but these should be taken along with the prescribed medication and substituted for.
Alternate healing modalities are also known to work.
Metaphysically Crohns disease comes from inflexible opinion, fear of letting go things from the past, holding on to old beliefs and ideas that they feel fear and guilt about, insecurity, fear and nervousness when confronting the unknown, strong belief of not being good enough.
Below is the script for self help for crohn’s disease, please note this is generic, your specific script can be created only once your core belief is identified.
Sit is a quiet place, where you can relax.
- Breathe and breathe out, the deeper you breathe, more you relax, the more relax it is easier to heal.
- Breathe in and breathe out,…
- Breathe in and as you breathe out direct the breathe out through your eyelids
- Breathe in and as you breathe out direct the breathe out through your eyelids you may feel dark pools in front you, it is okay to feel it.
- Breathe in and as you breathe out, direct the breathe out through your eyelids, feel the tiredness leave your eyelids.
- Breathe in and breathe out through the eyelids, feel the muscles between your brows relax.
- Breathe in and as you breathe out let the tiredness in your limbs leave.
- Breathe in and as you breathe out the tiredness in limb leaves, making your limbs heavy.
- Breathe in and as you breathe out, feel the heaviness in your limb.
- Breathe in and breathe out, letting the neck muscles relax
- Breathe in and breathe out, letting the neck muscles relax.
- Breathe in and centre yourself…. now tell yourself, it is okay to express your feelings, you are willing to let go of the past, you are willing to let go beliefs and ideas that are no longer relevant, you have the courage and enterprise to face the unknown for it is an adventure, and you are more than capable of dealing with it. you are willing to flow with the flow of life and accept the challenges that come. You are willing to move on freeing yourself from the shackles of the past.
Stay with this belief and slowly open your eye, on the count of 1 – as you begin to awaken 2—higher up, higher with 3 and 4 , eyes open and feeling very good about yourself at 5… 1-2-3-4-5 .